Friday, August 1, 2014

FEMININE LIVING TRADITIONS FOR YOUR HOME...HEARTH...AND HEART AUGUST 2014

AUGUST musings...

By the month of August I feel crispy fried from the intense heat of a Texas summer... and although I am grateful for all the growth...and positive changes...that I reaped this summer cycle... to be honest here...my heart and thoughts turn to the sights... scents... and colors of the approaching fall season.

The month of August is traditionally a time of the first harvest...not only of the land and the crops ready to pluck and pick...but also on a personal and professional level for me as a human being and woman...and for you as well. My harvest this cycle was bountiful and and over flowing...and I feel so grateful.

My harvest this summer season...included being able to visit my oldest daughter and her sweet family...and spend some time with my new grandson. I cannot even begin to express with words...my joy and love I feel for him. I could just spend the rest of my life kissing his cheeks...and watching him explore his world.

What can I say about being a grandma? Words are not even found in the dictionary...it is that heartfelt.

My heart is... just wide open.

My new German Shepherd puppy ...Bayley... that I welcomed into our home...and family... in early June.. is a trip to say the least. Raising a puppy is like taking care of a little clown... her antics are so funny to watch...and she makes us all laugh...as she too...explores her world.

I received many other gifts of growth and change that I am grateful for... in my summer harvest...but seeing my family...and holding my grandbaby...and sharing just a bit of his life...if only for a few blissful days...will always be such a beautiful and wonderful experience...that I will always cherish. I can close my eyes...at any given moment now... look into my heart...and forever...see his smiling... happy face.Those priceless summer days...that I spent with him...on my visit...is a deep knowing within...that nothing can ever compete with the joy I feel being his grandmama... and witnessing him... embracing with glee... his new life.

For me...it is the heart and soul stirrings...of life...that bring me the greatest joy...and forever memories. Falling in love...with my wonderful husband... the birth of my daughters...the sounds of my family's laughter... holding my new grandson...when he was just birthed. All of these priceless moments...were just thoughts and wishes when I was a much younger woman...and now...in this moment in time...they are beautiful experiences that I have been so blessed to harvest.

Sit on your porch this August month...and dig deep within your soul... all the many wonderful blessings you have harvested...not just this summer cycle...but of summers long ago.Fill your mind...your senses...your very core...with all you have been blessed with...thus far in your life...and give thanks.

May your harvest be bountiful...each and every day...and your cup over flowing with love.

Blessings,
Victoria



August...
The opposing
of peach and sugar,
and the sun inside the afternoon
like the stone in the fruit.

The ear of corn keeps
its laughter intact, yellow and firm.

August.
The little boys eat
brown bread and delicious moon.

Federico Garcia Lorca


WORLD TRADITIONS AND CELEBRATIONS FOR AUGUST

August 1st ...Lammas or First Harvest... a celebration of bringing in the first harvest of grain...August 11th... Feast of St. Claire... a festival honoring the joys of living a simple life...August 12...International Youth Day... August 15th...Statehood Day in Hawaii...Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary... August 19th...World Humanitarian Day...August 21st...My husband Todd's birthday...August 26th...Women's Equality Day



FACTS ABOUT AUGUST

August 1st was a Celtic feast called Lunasa or Lughnassadh... which means celebrating the harvest and new grain for bread. In Old English Lammas means " Loaf Mass."

Th Romans also had a harvest festival this month...called Consualia...honoring of course the grain harvested and Consus...their god of the underground where they stored their harvested grain.

The Oban festival in Japan...held in the month of August is a festival of The Lanterns...a celebration honoring the spirits of loved ones who have crossed over.Offerings of food are placed on family altars and in temples...and paper lanterns are lit...offering light to those who have passed...guiding their spirits to return home.

August also finds Edinburgh, Scotland... celebrating the Edinburgh Festival...which celebrates the performing Arts... with concerts...plays... ballets...and opera.



FLOWERS OF AUGUST
The sunflower..and marigold

GEMS OF AUGUST
Cat's eye...jasper...fire agate

TEACHINGS AND LESSONS OF AUGUST
Counting all your personal and professional harvest so far this year...appreciating all you have.

FULL MOON IN AUGUST
August 10th


HARVEST CELEBRATION

Have a lovely HARVEST dinner for you and your family. Set the table with your best dinner dishes...forks and knives...place wheat and apples as the center piece in a lovely bowl...light some candles...and serve healthy...comfort food for all to enjoy.

While you are enjoying your family time and great food to eat...have each person express what they personally harvested this year...that they really wanted or had a personal goal to achieve... and how it has impacted their lives. This can be anything...so please just praise each person for their harvest...not judge. This is a wonderful way to share with your family...and also teaches you and your family...appreciation and gratitude for all the bounty you and your family receive each day.



FEMININE LIVING TRADITIONS


...FOR YOUR HOME

Begin clearing out and packing away summer items...cleaning them first of course. Unwanted items should be given to a charity...or recycled to family or friends that can use them.

Purchase beautiful sunflowers and set out in earth tone vases throughout your home.

Set out baskets...filled with beautiful dried herbs...as a reminder of the harvest season.


...FOR YOUR HEARTH

One of the greatest offerings of growing your own herbs...is to be able to harvest them from your own yard... bring them into your kitchen...and create something extraordinary to eat with them!

I adore basil...the smell...the beauty...and taste of this versatile herb never ceases to amaze me. Below is a simple pesto recipe for you and the whole family to enjoy. It can be used for a dip...tossed with pasta...or used over chicken...pork or fish...or dabbed on bread for sandwiches.


HOMEMADE BASIL PESTO
yields about 2 cups

4 cups fresh organic basil leaves ( from your garden or favorite shop)
4-6 cloves garlic
3/4 cup toasted pine nuts
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
3/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese ( buy a good quality block of this cheese)

Place all ingredients except the olive oil and cheese in a food processor...until it is finely ground...but not too mushy. Next slowly add the olive oil ...and process until blended. Add the cheese and salt...process again for a few seconds. Place finished pesto in an airtight container and place in fridge or eat right away.

Did you know?

The roots of the herb Tarragon used to be used for a toothache.


...FOR YOUR HEART

In honor of the harvest season...go to the grocery store...and buy food  for those in need...placing them in the food donation barrel.

Purchase school supplies for those school children less fortunate... to start their school year off to a positive start.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Victoria