Monday, March 16, 2015

SEASONAL LIVING and TIMELESS TRADITIONS A ST. PATRICK'S DAY RECIPE

March 17th...

Now I am not Irish by blood...but I have visited Ireland on a family vacation...and I must say...I love Ireland and her people...so anything Irish...is now cursing through my blood and gets my heart doing a dance.

Besides just falling head over heels with Ireland...I also fell in love with the food...you must know that the Irish grow the best tasting potatoes on the planet...believe me. Because of the incredible taste I made sure I ordered potatoes with every meal...and if I could of...I would of stashed a bushel or two in my luggage to bring home.So in honor of Ireland and her over the top good potatoes...here is a potato recipe for you to cook up this St. Patrick's Day!

This recipe comes from the book The Food and Cooking of Ireland by Biddy White Lennon and Georgina Campbell.

GRIDDLE POTATOES
serves 4-6

2 onions...peeled and chopped
1 1/2 whole cooked potatoes...boiled in their skins
a mixture of Irish butter...and oil for shallow frying
salt and ground pepper

Boil your potatoes until fork tender...please do not over cook. When cooked...drain and place on a plate to cool.Put the onions in a large pan and scald them briefly in boiling water.Drain the onions well from the boiling water...and then rinse onions under cold water. Drain well again. Peel and slice your boiled potatoes...set aside. Put a mixture of the butter...and oil into a large heavy frying pan and heat until hot. When the butter and oil are hot...fry the onion until tender.Add the sliced potato slices and brown the onions and potatoes together...turning to brown evenly. Transfer to a warmed serving dish and season with salt and pepper. Serve very hot.

Eat with gusto this dish on St. Patrick's Day.

Blessings,
Victoria

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Victoria