Thursday, September 1, 2016

SEASONAL LIVING AND TIMELESS TRADITIONS SEPTEMBER 2016

September musings...I take a big sigh of relief...when September rolls in. I am not a fan of hot weather...that the Summer season brings...so September  brings with it...the promise of cooler weather...and the first signals of Fall.

And with the change of the season this month...from Summer to Autumn...the inner nudging of "nesting"...and "gathering in" speaks to me...and to you...and all living things...in this ever changing circle of life.

One of my favorite Autumn rituals...is to watch the squirrels scamper around in my back yard... finding acorns and other seeds...to store up for the coming Winter.They search...find...and then stuff their cheeks to bulging...then climb as fast as they can to their homes in the trees...packing in as much food as they can in their "nests" to keep their bellies full during Winter months.My flowers...and shrubs...do their own "gathering in"...by shedding leaves and blooms...and seem to fold up...to protect themselves...for the coming cold weather.

I love to prepare too...for the coming season of Autumn...my own rhythms resonating with this more quiet and reflecting time. I ponder the year...my lessons...my life...my creativity...my changing seasons as a woman...and in doing my pondering...I learn about myself more deeply...and really about life...as well.

It is not the things I bought...nor the new outfit or shoes I acquired...along the way... that I remember fondly...but the moments with loved ones or friends...or that beautiful sunset...that I "gathered in" ... nesting close to my heart...that I recall easily...and with warm feelings I was blessed with this year. You see...it has never been...about the material world...for me...but about the experience and good feelings of the heart and soul of my life...that makes me come alive...and truly live.

I find myself...in a season of my own life...where home and family...friends and nature...matter even more to me than ever before. My heart...and soul seem to yearn for the basics...for the real and authentic...in simple living...and big meaningful experiences.

Because my soul...is speaking very loudly to me...to return to a more simple...authentic way of life...I am also smitten with the creative idea of old-fashioned everything...especially cooking...and herbs...so this month of sweet and soothing September...you will find me in my kitchen...measuring spices...stirring up batters...and whipping up good healthy food...using only the very best seasonal ingredients. My love of cooking...has always been a passion of mine...but I want to experiment this season...with different spices...  food cultures... making chocolates...and homemade cheese...you know... cooking on a different level...with different textures...tastes... smells...and the traditions of food...and it's people from far off lands. A person can discover unknown aspects about themselves through cooking and food...and this is what my heart yearns for...in this present season of my life.

And have I shared with you my love of history and tradition? Well to me...history...tradition...and the pleasures of cooking and eating go hand to hand....plate to fork...fork to mouth...heart to heart...so I invite you my wonderful reader...to follow me this month of September...as I cook and share with you...my recipes...from my kitchen to yours!


Happy cooking and eating to you,
Victoria


THE HISTORY OF OLIVE OIL

This month I want to focus on the long history and world traditions of cooking with olive oil.The wonderful taste of olive oil...is to savor history in the making... enjoy timeless food cultural traditions.. and to taste the earth itself.

If that isn't wonderful enough for you...olive oil has many health benefits too. Some of the longest living humans on earth...are those that eat olive oil everyday...because olive oil reduces heart disease risk...lowers high blood pressure...reduces the risk of stroke...and maintains healthy cholesterol levels.

Olive oil also improves your skin and hair health.

The use and pressing of olive oil is currently documented no earlier than 2500 BC...although olives were first domesticated in the Mediterranean some 6,000 years ago.

The original use of olive oil...was for lamp fuel...pharmaceutical ointment...and in traditional rituals for anointing royalty...warriors and others.

Cooking with olive oil began at least as long ago as the 5th-4th century BC.



THE PLEASURES OF COOKING WITH OLIVE OIL

I love olive oil...I mean really good extra-virgin olive oil...and certainly not just one region of the world...but all regions...as they do taste different from country to country. I cook everything in olive oil...and even substitute olive oil...in baking...instead of vegetable oil. It makes everything you bake...more moist...and taste better. I want you to believe me...so below is my recipe for an olive oil cake.


OLIVE OIL CAKE
Serves 8

This is a very moist and delicious cake...serve as is...or with fresh fruit. A piece of this cake is also a great snack or breakfast too...with fruit and yogurt.

3 eggs
1 1/2 cups whole milk
1 1/2 cups extra virgin olive oil
2 1/2 cups sugar
3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
zest of 1 lemon
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
powered sugar to serve

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare 2 (9 inch) cake pans...by coating lightly with olive oil...and dusting lightly with flour.

In a large bowl...mix together the eggs...and the sugar. When well blended...add the olive oil...milk...lemon juice and lemon zest...and mix well.

In a separate bowl...mix together the flour...baking powder...baking soda and salt.Add this mixture to the eggs and stir just until blended. Pour into the prepared pans.

Bake for about 50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool and remove from the pans, Dust the cakes with powered sugar and serve,

Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Victoria